LAKE OF BAYS RENEWABLE ENERGY CO-OP (LOBREC) is a not-for-profit renewable energy co-operative. Our goal is to bring community owned renewable energy projects to Lake of Bays for the benefit of the community as a whole.
Our first project is a 50 kW solar PV installation on the rooftop of the Baysville Community Centre. See the picture above and our news page for exciting updates on this project! You can join the cooperative and buy community bonds today towards the purchase of the solar system and be a part of generating renewable energy for our community. The panels are on the roof of the arena and the connection work is being undertaken by the electricians. Check our news page and sign up for our newsletter to keep posted on the latest developments.
You can check out how much renewable energy the Lake of Bays Community Centre solar array has been generating now!
LOBREC has secured a 20 year contract with the Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO - originally program was run by the OPA) for this project. This low impact, high profile projectwill:
- demonstrate sustainability
- provide an attractive investment vehicle
- provide returns to the community
- show leadership and raise the profile of Lake of Bays
- provide leadership in mitigating climate change while joining Lake of Bays in a global movement towards renewable community power
- benefit the community as a whole in even more ways - LOBREC intends to direct a percentage of each year’s surplus back into the community through initiatives such as grants to environmental projects and other opportunities with environmental benefits.