11 am, Saturday May 20, Baysville Community CentreRead More
This weekend LOBREC will be at the the Muskoka Summit on the Environment to join in the discussion on this year's theme, "Solutions for a Warming World". The event will be taking place in Bracebridge at the Rene Caisse Theatre on Friday May 27 and Saturday May 28. Come out and hear from some wonderful speakers, including leader of the federal Green Party Elizabeth May, and visit our LOBREC booth.
For more information and how to register, see http://muskokasummit.org/
We hope to see you there!
We held our annual meeting September 5, 2015 at the Baysville Senior's Centre. Our president, Melinda Zytaruk provided a perspective on the past 12 months and the year ahead.
- We submitted a Community Energy Partnership Program (CEPP) grant application and eventual approval of LOBREC's application for financial assistance for some of our co-op development, legal and engineering costs. We are waiting a final payment of the grant.
- LOBREC membership has exceeded 200 members.
- We received Interim financing from Haliburton Community Development Corporation (HCDC) that allowed our project to proceed prior to full sale of the necessary number of LOBREC bonds.
- We made improvements to our website and social media presence.
- We made presentations to over 15 community groups and associations with over 1000 people in attendance.
- Bond sales raised $139,000 by the annual meeting (Additional sales of over $22,000 since then)
- Installation of the 50KW solar rooftop system on the Lake of Bays Community Centre.
- Our books were audited for this year and we received a clean audit report.
- Sadly, both Margaret Casey and Collin Reaney submitted their retirement as directors. Melinda thanked both of them for their tireless efforts in assisting LOBREC in its first four years. They have both been instrumental in LOBREC's success to date.
- We elected 2 new directors, Peter Goring and Martha Lenio for a 3 year term. They have a great background (see their bios on the about us page) and will help steer LOBREC as we go forward.
In addition, subsequent to the meeting we have received our first payment of over $4,000 from Hydro One for the electricity we are pumping back into the grid
Now that the panels are installed LOBREC is generating electricity into the grid. For the month of September 2015 Hydro One sent us a cheque for $4,198.32. This was a good month, however we expect the winter months to provide no to very limited returns until spring. In any case we are underway. Congratulations and thanks to all who have supported LOBREC through membership, bond purchases or volunteer work.
Well, the panels are up and connected and pumping electricity into the grid. As a result we are earning revenue. While we anticipate much lower revenues over the winter months, in September our payment from Hydro One was $4,198.32. This is in line with expectations and we look forward to a great year in 2016.
The panels are on the roof of the Baysville Arena and the electricians and Hydro One are busy working on the connections to the grid. It has been a long journey but we are now seeing our first installed project come to life! Bond sales are continuing and our membership is growing. Come find out more updates about your coop and celebrate with your fellow members at our AGM on Saturday Sept 5, 11-1 am. More details to follow but put it in your calendar for now, looking forward to seeing you there! If you are not yet a member head on over to our membership page and fill out the form, bring your $10 lifetime fee to the AGM or mail it to us. We welcome new members!
LOBREC 2015 AGM to be held at the senior's centre in Baysville
11 AM - 1 PM Saturday September 5, 2015
If you were in Baysville last week you may have noticed the equipment, pylons and busy workers at the community centre. Electricians and NorthGrid's crew were working hard to get our system installed and on Friday morning, despite some light rain, the panels went up on the roof. They are continuing to work away this week on getting everything connected and working so we can start generating electricity and renewable benefits for our community!
As you may be aware, LOBREC is selling bonds to cooperative members ($10 lifetime membership fee to join, membership is open, see our JOIN page for more information) to pay for the solar system. Bond sales are heating up and going fast so now is the time to invest if you haven't yet, or buy more to get in on this issue. Check out our INVESTMENT page for more information about buying bonds.
And now here are some pictures of the solar panel installation!
Happy Summer everyone! You may have noticed that LOBREC volunteers have been busy this summer, we have seen many of you at the Baysville Farmers Market and at the Lake of Bays Brewery last Saturday where we have set up our bond information booth. Thanks to all who came over to chat, new members and new community investors! We will be at the Baysville Farmers' market again this Friday July 10th and the LOBA gathering on July 11th so come on over and say hi! We have exciting updates as the solar panels and electronics are ready for delivery in NorthGrid's shop and we expect equipment to start arriving next week! Stay tuned for notice of upcoming installation celebrations! And if you haven't bought your bonds yet, or you are interested in buying more, its not too late, but act soon as we are nearing our goal! We are taking member bond purchases throughout the summer, come on over at an event to chat or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to seeing you soon!